This congress organized by Albufera Energy Storage is aimed to create a meeting point between students, researchers and companies that are immersed in the world of the batteries, and more specifically in Metal-air systems. All aspects from the electrochemical level to technological applications will be presented and discussed.
Metal-air batteries are one of the most promising energy accumulators since they exhibit very high energy densities, volume and weight reduction and low cost. The main advantage over classic batteries is the use of oxygen in the positive electrode, coming free from the atmospheric air, which is an inexhaustible source, not limiting the capacity of the cell. The latter, makes the capacity of cell depend just of the capacity of a metallic anode which presents extremely high specific energy and energy density.
Metals like lithium (11140 Wh/kg), aluminium (8140 Wh/kg), magnesium (6460 Wh/kg), calcium (4180 Wh/kg), etc. present theoretical energy densities that could be able to compete against the nowadays most used energy source for propulsion, the gasoline (12200 Wh/kg theoretical; 2080 Wh/kg practical). In this sense, metal-air batteries are named to be the future traction energy sources, but also, for large and small scale applications, such as Grid support, laptops/smartphones, etc. Other metals like sodium, zinc or iron present lower specific energies but their low price, as well as high availability make them strategic materials for future anode developments.
The improvements in new materials, electrolytes, designs, etc. are the keys for the development of this type of batteries. Analysis and simulation of the processes happening during the electrochemical reactions, corrosion… are also quite important pieces for better understanding and ability to predict the behavior of these new systems.
That’s way from Albufera we think that MaBIC17 is going to be an excellent opportunity to gather experts in energy storage, materials, and of course Metal-air batteries. And so, we want to invite you to participating in this meeting, and to present your results and experience.
Topics will include but are not limited to:
o Metals/alloys for the anode
o Catalyzers for ORR/OER or bivalent
o Carbonaceous supporting materials
o Electrolytes and ionic conducting membranes
· Simulation and modeling:
o Electrode surface processes
o Corrosion processes in the anode
o Ionic conduction of new electrolytes
· Design and control:
o Cells design
o Mechanical recharge of primary batteries
o Electrolyte recirculation and refiling
o Metal-air systems management (BMS) and associated electronics
· Technological applications and recycling:
o Metal-air battery powered applications
o Applications requirements for Metal-air batteries design
o Components recycling and Metal-air batteries second life
HIS MAJESTY THE KING FELIPE VI PRESIDENT OF HONOUR COMMITTEE
- Mr. Francisco Javier Lambán Montañés. President of Aragón.
- Mrs. Marta Gastón Menal. Minister of Economy, Industry and Employment of Aragón and President of Walqa.
- Mrs. Carmen Vela Olmo. Secretaria de Estado de Investigación, Desarrollo e Innovación. Secretary of State for Research, Development and Innovation.
- Mr. Luis Felipe Serrate. Mayor of Huesca.
Scientific Council chaired by Enrique Fatás, Full Professor of Autónoma University of Madrid, in Department of Applied Physical Chemistry since 1992. His research has focused on the field of electrochemistry, with special projection on Electrochemical Kinetics, Semiconductors Electrochemistry, Electrochemical Energy Conversion and Storage and Electrochemical Coatings.
Four international level scientists will accompany Professor Fatás in the exciting job of providing the relevant scientific rigor to the articles and posters which will be exposed and presented during the congress.
- Prof. Marc Anderson, Associate Senior Researcher & Head of the Electrochemical Processes Research Unit” at IMDEA Energy Institute.
- Prof. Francesca Soavi, Assistant Professor in Department of Chemistry “Giacomo Ciamician” University of Bologna, Vice-Chair of Division 3 – Electrochemical Energy Storage and Conversion of The International Society of Electrochemistry.
- Dr. María de Fátima Negrelli Campos Rosolem, Battery Researcher in Fundation CPqD.
- Prof. Richard Wills, Lecturer Electrochemical Energy Storage in Faculty of Engineering and the Environment University of Southampton.
- Dr. Joaquín Chacón: CEO of Albufera Energy Storage and President of MaBIC.
TECHNOLOGY TRANSFER COMMITTEE (To be confirmed)
- Mr. Ramón Tejedor. Managing Director of IAF – Institute for Aragones Development
- Mr. Ángel Fernández. Director of ITAINNOVA – Technological Institute of Aragon
- Mrs. Cristina de la Hera. Managing director of Walqa
- Mr. Óscar López. Director Executive of Campus Iberus
- Mr. José Carlos Arnal. Director of Aula Dei Scientific Technological Park
- Mr. Marcos Rubio. TECNARA
- Mr. Andrés Llombart. General Director of CIRCE
- Mr. Fernando Palacín. Managing Director Gerente of Aragon Hydrogen Foundation
- Mr. Salvador Cored. General Secretary of CEOS-CEPYME
- Mr. David Romeral. Director of CAAR – Automotive Cluster of Aragon
- Mrs. Nieves Vela. Photovoltaic Solar Energy CIEMAT
- Mr. Antonio Morlanes. President of Aragonex
- Mrs. Maja Jousif. Communication Director of Albufera Energy Storage.
- Mr. Fernando González. CEO of Agendaplus, Technical Secretariat of MaBIC.
MaBIC17 will be held in WALQA Technology Park, Huesca, from June 4
WALQA TECHNOLOGY PARK, (HUESCA, SPAIN), a center of innovation and R & D specialized in the field of information technology, biotechnology and renewable energy, and member of the IASP (International Association of Science Parks and Scientists). Currently it has 14 buildings where they are installed local, regional, national, multinational, new entrepreneurs, universities and technology centers.